Why Humphreys Removals
Why Humphreys removals is an easy question to answer. We’re a successful removal company with a long heritage and reputation for caring for our customers. This is our story.
- William Henry Humphreys returns from the war, buys a horse and cart and sets up Humphreys Removals at Clifton Road, Watford.
- Two significant jobs were transporting turf for the new Vicarage Road football ground and gravestones for victims of the flu pandemic.
- The horse and cart was replaced by a Chevrolet lorry.
- Horace Henry, William’s son, takes over as MD and relocates Humphreys to Sydney Road to accommodate growth of the business.
- Glynn Humphreys, Horace’s son joins the firm, working in the warehouse and the removal lorries.
- Horace installs large underground fuel tanks in order to maximise his buying power. A really smart move enabling Humphreys to continue trading during the Middle Eastern fuel crisis.
- Humphreys sent its first pantechnicon to Europe signalling the start and rapid growth of the overseas side of the business. Development of the Tornado and Typhoon jets, results in 2-3 trucks a week moving RAF and MoD personnel and their families to Munich and Naples. Valuable connections and friendships are forged and remain in place to this day.
- Australian High Commission European contract win results in 300 moves a year.
- Humphreys’ premises used as the removal HQ in the TV comedy drama Moving Story, starring Warren Clarke and Phil Davis.
- Humphreys features on the front cover of BAR’s magazine in recognition of being the first to have all its staff accredited by the trade association.
- Glynn Humphreys takes over as MD
- Darrel Baker joins the company as a warehouse operative.
- Humphreys recognises the need for nation-wide storage facilities in other parts of the UK which leads to partnerships between Humphreys and a network of other family-owned removal companies throughout the UK.
- The company continues to grow on the removals side of the business, developing strong relationships with like-minded removal industry partners.
- Glynn Humphreys retires.
- Management buyout with Darrel taking over the company: “After many years working for Humphreys, I’m so proud to be leading the business forward into the future, guided by the same values that built the strong and well-established removal firm you see today.”
When I joined Humphreys Removals in 1993, the family took me under their wing and, over time, showed me all aspects of the removal business. I have seen the way the company has grown and changed during that time and have been with them every step of the way. When Glynn and the family asked if I would like to take over the business I was delighted, to say the least.
Together with my partner, Jo-Anne, we’re ensuring that family values and personal service remain our priority. For decades Humphreys has been central to helping families relocate – in Watford, throughout the UK and all over the world. Together with our employees, associates and agents we’re making sure that Humphreys Removals continues to do what it does best!
That’s our background, how about you?
Where are you moving?
In the UK?
I cannot thank the removal guys enough